Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Didn't know it would have this effect

Ok, I'm writing this shortly after my last post (the one about the weight guess), but I'm not going to post it until I'm done with the survey.
But here is something I didn't expect...
When I was getting no replies at first, I was really bummed. I wanted people to reply because I feel confident that these replies are going to prove a point I want to make to women. I was tempted to re-post some encouragement to get folks to answer... like
"please do this, its not going to offend me if you guess higher than I am"
"Don't guess lower than you really think, just to try to flatter me"
"No, I'm not selling 'miracle jeans that make u look lighter than u really are' ha ha"
"Don't avoid this survey, because you don't want to get involved in what u are perceiving is self-absorbtion (when I post my follow-up you will see this is going to be positive for everyone, not a pat on the back to me)"
"Please partake in this survey regardless of your lifestyle-even if you aren't a gym-rat or health-crazed nut"
"Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not posting pix of me to boost my self-esteem, actually it could hurt it". But that's not what this is about, so I'm hoping that won't happen. I really want it to be about the second post that I make. But I have to do the research on the first post in order to get the results for the second post.
Anyway, if I don't get more replies I may do a follow up request post of some sort, but for now I am going to try to lay low and wait it out.


The other thing I didn't expect was my anxiety about opening a reply when one finally came in (thanks Mindy for being the first!).  I didn't expect to have that hesitation about what people were going to say. I really just wanted a cut and dry answer, but since most people who get this will know me, I guess it made it more personal and therefore I opened myself up for some potential 'hurt' if people said anything mean. When I got that first reply I realized it was sort of personal (which is why some people may not do the survey) and which I didn't expect at all. Because the follow-up post really isn't personal, its general to all women so this is just my 'research' in order to prove the follow up point. But anyway, I guess I'm human so I did get a weird feeling when I began to get replies. 

Hopefully, this whole thing will work out and I can prove my point instead of blowing up in my face and being a train wreck. Fingers crossed.


1/26/11
Ok, I'm going to go ahead and post this now because I am about to tally the results and post my 'follow-up post'.  Just decided that these thoughts that went through my head were worth sharing as well (because we are all human) and I thought it might help some of you too. It also sort of addresses why only got 14 replies, yet I had over 50 visitors to the site.  Hmmm, makes me think some of you were feeling the things I mentioned above (??) maybe you didn't want to get involved, didn't want to hurt me, or didn't realize that this was just the research to something much bigger and more important than how much I really weigh.
I realized today when reading a comment a stranger made to my friend about this survey that I really did open myself up for a ego blow. But I took a step back and thought about what was said, and reminded myself that I knew going in this could be bad, I was just willing to take the risk because as I said before
 I AM HAPPY,
and that means my weight or what others think of me or my weight aren't going to change that. Therefore, I was willing to take the risk and put myself out there for all the world to see (but not in a swimsuit ha ha-I wasn't THAT crazy!) so that I could hope to try to bring some insight and encouragement to others. So here goes, I'm posting this, and off to write the follow-up posting.  Again, thanks for participating

No comments:

Post a Comment